What Is Launching Point?
- Launching Point is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, charity that serves as a self-injury support and resource center that started in a small room of a church in Florham Park, New Jersey. A year after the first self-injury support group in November 2005, Launching Point was incorporated an delcared a charity in November 2007. In January 2016 we moved to Rockaway.
What Is the Mission of Launching Point?
- Launching Point is a self-injury support and resource center that provides awareness, information, and support to people struggling with any form of self-inflicted violence and support for their loved ones. We reach out to the community and nationwide on self-injury, addictions, and support for those that lost a person to suicide.
This is accomplished through:
- Providing Beyond Bandages, self-injury support group at our location and training others to begin a Beyond Bandages in their county.
- Finding an individual the appropriate form of self-injury treatment by providing resources for outpatient & inpatient treatment, therapy and/or counseling services.
- Educational meetings & activities for those struggling to overcome self-injury.
- Self-injury resources and support for friends and family of loved ones who self-injure.
- Informative meetings, written material and literature on self-injury and supporting a loved one.
- Self-help website
When was the first self-injury support group?
- The first self-injury support group in New Jersey was created by Vicki Duffy (now founder of Launching Point) and took place on November 4, 2005. Nobody attended that first group, however the next week there was one person and by the middle of 2006 there were 15 different people attending, with at least 8 people regularly attending.
Do you sell anything?
- Yes, as a way to raise funds for our charity. We come up with original sayings and phrases that we make available on merchandise: pins (buttons), magnets, stickers, t-shirts, mugs, wristbands, and string bags.