- Beyond Bandages was the first support group meeting to take place in New Jersey on November 4, 2005, when it was called "BSSI" (Breaking the Silence of Self-Injury). The group was created by Vicki Duffy, founder of Launching Point.
- The only support group in New Jersey, it was designed to be positive & uplifting. Beyond Bandages "original" meetings currently takes place on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd Thursday evening of every month, with acitivities on non-meeting nights and monthly events. There is no cost to attend!
- We also have lunchtime meetings on Tuesdays
When Are The Support Group Meetings?
- All meetings take place on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Thursdays of every month and are open to anyone who self-injures or is looking to overcome, and open to first time visitors.
- All meetings begin at 7:00pm and end by 9:00pm
- "Free Time" after meetings from 9:00pm to 10:00pm-10:30pm, and at times fun activities afterwards.
- Activities take place on the 4th Thursday of every month and when a 5th Thursday occurs. All activities (the 4th or 5th Thursdays) are only open to those that regularly attend the support group meetings.
- The group is for ages 18 and over. Plese note that although we don't have a "teenage" specific group, anyone 13-17 may attend with parental/guardian consent.
Over the years we have seen hundreds of people attend the group and some come from as far as Cape May and Philadelphia. We've given out over 6,000 self-injury brochures, had over 250 self-injury support group meetings, offered a variety of fun and inspiring activities, held our first "Lock-In" this pass August and in October, we had our first outdoor campfire. It is the heart of Launching Point to reach out to those that struggle with any form of self-injury, such as scratching, cutting, burning, hair-pulling, or bone breaking as a coping mechanism, to visit us online or in person.
All meetings start at 7:00pm and include a topic and last 2 hours, with a 5 minute break. Please know that Launching Point is a support and resource center, not a crisis center or treatment facility, and therefore a person attending must be able to be on site for duration of meetings without acting out in any way.
Click here for the Rules & Guidelines.
To find out when our activities are and for our full schedule, please view our Online Calendar!